Whatever it was trying to take up residence in my esophagus has been eradicated by modern medicine. It made a second attempt at validation but was adequately contained.
It's been a semi-busy two weeks. I was able to reconnect with Amy, a great friend who's simply too far away (she lives in AZ). Amy is a special education teacher with a huge heart and a dedication to her job that I cannot hold a fucking candle to...she does her job because she loves it. I do my job...mostly for the money and the challenge. Amy's a social activist in her own right-she's making a difference in the lives of others and I'm secretly envious of her ability to do it. I've got to get out there to see Amy and her offspring, Abby.
I decided to not attend Jenn's wedding after all. We had some limited exchange of communication, if it can be called such, and I am in a place where I just don't feel comfortable attending her wedding. Jenn and Nikki are much better friends (Jenn and I weren't ever real close-it was always at arms length). Nikki is in the wedding and in all reality, will have a much better time without me in attendance. In true fashion, I don't give a damn what other people think but I don't want to feel like a token guest or a token friend. I would feel like both and I'm not okay with that.
I went to a BBQ with Beth and her two boys on Labor Day-it was an interesting event-I met quite a few interesting people, consumed far too much food (so much so that I only had lunch the next two days) and enjoyed hanging out with her kids. I know that sounds a bit odd, not only because it's *me* but because they are 9 and 13 years-old. Beth did a great job raising two great kids. One of the conversations we started in the car was about Sarah Palin and her youngest child having Down's Syndrome. Beth was able to very eloquently explain Down's Syndrome to her youngest son in a way that he understood both the need for sensitivity and the circumstances of how it happens. Seriously, half the stuff she told him I would have had to Google in advance of the conversation.
After the BBQ, we all went to Last Fling in Naperville and watched The Hat Guys play for about an hour. My one accomplishment for the day was teaching the youngest boy to properly shoot water from a Dasani bottle onto his mother (hey, she started it, I was just helping a kid out).
Monica sent me an e-mail last week telling me that she's bummed out that we didn't get to see one another while I was there. I wish we could have met up...maybe next time.
My group of friends has challenged me in a myriad of ways these past few weeks. Some for the better, some not so much. Some will get more chances than they should, some won't get enough. I'm going to work on being more of a lighthouse than a floodlight-stand on rocky shores and keep the beaches shipwreck free.
This electoral process is the most ridiculous of any I can remember.
My opinion about Sarah Palin is echoed here:
The worst Vice Presidential Nominee in US History
I think she's great at giving speeches-but then again, haven't I simply been let down by Dubya for the past eight years-to a point where a well executed commercial might get my attention? Someone who's seen more moose than people shouldn't be the shoo-in for President. Let's face it, if someone were to show McBush a graphic BDSM picture, he'd drop to his knees and die right there...then we'd be stuck with Palin.
She's supposed to be talking up McBush, not herself. Is she running for President? Of course she is! He's a banana peel away from the big dirt nap!
What is this country coming to? Or am I just getting old?
Background Tune: "The Freshman"-The Verve Pipe
No comments:
Post a Comment