30 September 2008

let us not be petty in the face of a monster

This was the view out of my window at the hotel in Grand Rapids. One of the dangers of using Hotwire.com, I suppose.

Grand Rapids, Michigan. Exactly how I picture the phrase "middle America". It took me just over 3 hours to get there. It's 200 miles away. A little basic math...200/3=66.67 mph. Not bad, considering I stopped for gas on the way. Traffic was non-existant once I got out of Illinois. I think it's funny when people in the midwest complain about "traffic"-I dare them to spend a day with me in LA, driving from downtown Los Angeles to...well, shit-anywhere. If you can get out of Los Angeles with all of your hair and at least half of your sanity, you're in good shape.

The customer I went to visit was an interesting guy. He's one of our largest customers and he's been sold every tale ever told by more than one representative of our company. It's a no-nonsense operation and I respect that. Overall, it was a good meeting.

I met him at his house after work for a couple of beers...standing in the barn drinking beer while it rained outside. Three dogs played between four people. An occasional elderly neighbor would wander over in the rain to watch the baseball game on the obscenely large television, nestled between a quad and a trashcan with a paper plate taped to it that read: "Trash Only". On the opposite end, just north of the fishing boat-another metal trashcan-this one overflowing with empty beer cans with a paper sign (not a plate) "Driver's Ed Money". I thought it was a joke. It's not. The cans are for a niece to pay for Driver's Education...I didn't know they took beer cans and bottles. After evaluating the pile, I'm pretty sure she'll get money back. He showed me his house-a nice place-bought for a song from one of the random old dudes who wandered into the barn while I was there. The kitchen, dining and living rooms were all remodeled by his wife's brother and father in mission style trim. They did a nice job. It looks amazing. He's got a 2006 Z06 Corvette that's been modified in back with wide fenders and 30 series tires. He doesn't drive the car much. It looks like a shiny penny.

I left this morning for the drive back. I learned that a blinking red light at an intersection means that you can turn left with caution. Apparently, people in Michigan have to be told to turn against traffic AND use caution. Then again, they are paying for Driver's Ed with beer can money, so the explanation isn't so far off base I suppose. On the way back, I stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Something caught my eye when I walked in the door. On a spinner rack just to the right of the door was a calendar "The Great American Book of Church Signs". Of all the crap they cram into those places and that's what my eyes focused on? It's either synchronicity or a sign but I'm pretty sure Jesus is trying to tell me something.

I was dumbfounded when the hostess asked if I wanted to sit in "Smoking or Non Smoking". I stated my preference, knowing that the lattice wood would not properly contain the smoke...I was essentially sitting in the extended smoking section.

It was a good trip. Michigan isn't bad when you know you don't live there and you can go home. I think I'm going to return to visit again real soon...

The government hasn't quite figured out how to solve the bank failure issue yet. At the rate their going, it'll take them just as long to figure out how to fix it as it will for the banking industry to just do it on their own.

"This country has more problems than it should tolerate and more solutions than it uses"--Ralph Nader.

Background Tune: "Thank You" Alanis Morissette

No comments: