29 September 2008

welfare for all...

I wonder how long it will be before we wind up switching over to a socialist economy. The government is bailing out greedy banks because it has to...if the banks fail en masse, we wind up regressing 80 or so years. The banks should be held accountable for this mindless practice of business...but that will not happen. Our government is far too forgiving of business ethics...one only need look at Enron, WorldCom, Exxon, DuPont, etc. The more things change, the more they stay the same. When Obama gets elected, I hope he actually does something...even if he were to tell everyone that he was going fuck us all over and then he actually did it-he would be the first president in my lifetime to actually do what he promised. Balance the budget, stop invading foreign countries we don't understand and end palm greasing with lobbyists...then the real government can do something.

Now the automakers are begging for a handout because they were too short sighted to make smart decisions? Why is my tax money going to bail out a bunch of guys who cannot see the writing on the wall? Why are the Japanese and German car makers not hurting as much? BMW and Mercedes make expensive cars-in times of economic downturn, they should be hurting the most but they're not...GM and Ford are hurting the most. Because they relied on the government and oil industry lobbyists to keep them afloat. If they would just get their shit together and make reliable decent looking cars that get good MPG, they wouldn't be at the church door, begging for scraps. They should be allowed to fail and the government should reward companies who look and plan ahead. Fuck em. I know I won't buy an American car or truck-they don't last as long, run as well or reach the fuel economy of a foreign car. I drive a 6 year old Nissan that gets better gas mileage than most of the new cars Detroit is offering...and it looks better than most of them as well. When it comes time to buy another car-I will buy another used car (I don't like "new car smell" enough to pay $6k for it) and it will almost certainly be Japanese. I'm the demographic Detroit should be looking to convert. If they can convince me, they've already convinced a gaggle of people who are less demanding. They have their work ahead of them.

It's 1 am and I am wide awake...which would not be a bad thing if I were not driving to Michigan in 6 or so hours. I didn't sleep all that well last night, so I have been very tired today. Nicole and Addi and I went to the zoo for a couple of hours and I wound up going to sleep right after eating dinner (about 6:30pm-ish) and woke up at midnight, wide awake. This circadian rhythm thing needs to be straightened out...I'm worn out all the time. I feel like a bat with insomnia and vertigo.

The remainder of car parts arrive tomorrow, so it looks like this will be the weekend of grease and swearing. I can hardly wait...I'm in way over my head and I know it.

Background Tune: "Asking Too Much"--Ani DiFranco

No comments: