I picked Addi up last Thursday after work and after getting gas for my thirsty little car, we headed over to Chick Fil A, my last ditch effort to get her to eat dinner. When I arrived to pick her up, she was literally scarfing down a Blizzard...good for the heat but not a good pre-dinner snack. We sat down to eat-she got a balloon and the cow was wandering around entertaining little kids. We were right next to the play area, so after eating about half of her food, she went in to play with the other six or seven other kids.
It got me to wonder: What is it that steers us away from being so social and accepting of others? Little kids are pretty good about not caring about other races, colors, sex, background, etc. About the only thing they shy away from are people who are disfigured or severely handicapped...and that mostly depends on the parents reaction to them.
My guess is that things change when kids get to about eight years old-when they form their own values and ideas about other people, other kids and situations in which they find themselves.
Then I started thinking about myself...I'm very judgmental but I'll also talk to just about anyone in just about any situation. The latter doesn't make up for the former...but it is an odd mix. I'm getting less judgmental as I get older but I think that part of that is because I care less and less about what other people think of me. I lose the edge as I become less concerned about my 'appearance'. It's a whole lot less work and I'm more content internally.
I wish I'd figured this out sooner.
I might be a teacher but I continue to learn from my student...she's rather wise without even realizing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment