I met a good friend for dinner last night...something we do only every few months...and we got to talking about 'life' and how so much of it changes based on one simple decision-something that most people don't realize (I don't think they do anyway). All it takes is one 'right' decision to affect the future path of what happens 'next'. Trouble with that is that what appears to be 'right' at the time often turns out to be 'adequate' or 'incorrect' once the power of hindsight comes around and shows us the decision we 'should' have made. It's always easy to go back and critique what should have been. I think it's much more difficult to go back and say "That's when I made the right decision!" but maybe that's just the critic in me on a soapbox.
I wonder if you reach a certain age before you start to question every decision you make...I think back to being in my 20's and not even considering the consequences of my actions-let alone considering the outcome. Now I think about everything I'm doing before I commit to action. I hope this isn't part of getting old...it'll take me for fucking ever to make a decision in ten years. Maybe it's just a phase for now...a stopping place of sorts?
Sometimes, you just have to make decisions more than once to get to the one that you like...and I'm okay with that.
Background Tune: "Raindrops" by Basement Jaxx
"There's a space out there
And in it, we can move"
And in it, we can move"
No comments:
Post a Comment