26 February 2011

Knuckle deep inside the borderline...

The photo is of the carousel pod that's going in on Monday (in two days) in the warehouse at work.

It's my project...well, one of the five I currently have in progress.  It is the largest of them by far.

Installing two 50' horizontal carousels and eliminating over 1800' of static shelving.  Reducing a 32,000 sq. ft. pick floor down to 8,000 sq. ft. while adding over 500 pallet positions.  The annual savings will be in excess of $100k each year-before the ROI of the carousel system itself.

The project is 'mostly' on track.  The only hiccup is that of the electrical improvements due to complications with the village over what I consider to be technicalities.  I started the process a week earlier than necessary and it's now two weeks behind schedule (5 weeks after I started the process).  There's been some wrangling about how/when the work will get done without adding too much to the cost structure.  That is the challenge.

The budget is right on track-the timeline, while a bit ambitious, is right on track as well.  The cat herding is going rather well in spite of some communication issues.  It simply forces me to really think about what I need to happen before I open my mouth.  And that slows me down a lot in some cases-not necessarily a bad thing.

The outcome is going to be amazing and people will celebrate.  Everyone except me, most likely, because I'll look back on the project and see all of the things I could have done better, faster or more effectively.

I am my own worst enemy.  There is no greater critic of what I do or how I do it than the guy who looks back at me in the mirror.  The joys of being an "ENTJ", I suppose.

Until then, I'll just focus on getting the job done.

Background Tune: "Prison Sex" by Tool

No comments: