14 February 2011

Important documents and incompetant people

I had to call a past employer to request my W2 as a result of not receiving them in the mail.  I was connected to a woman who has the dedicated task of requesting duplicate forms for those who did not receive them.  Her only two jobs?  Answering the phone and these requests...I swear that's it.

This is how the conversation went down:

Me: "I need to request my tax forms since I have not received them yet."

EMP:"Okay, I can help you with that request."
Me: "Thanks"
EMP:"Please confirm your SSN, and name."

[I verbalize my information].

EMP: "So you're calling to get a duplicate of your W2 forms?"

Me: "Yes"

EMP: "You didn't receive them? [she sounds completely surprised] We sent them out over a month ago."

Me: "I did not receive them."

EMP: "Okay, well we will send them out to you." [she's ready to end the call at this point]

Me: "Wouldn't it be prudent to confirm my address since I didn't receive the first round of documents?"

EMP: "Excuse me?"

[realizing she probably doesn't know what 'prudent' means...]

Me: "Don't you think you should confirm my mailing information to make sure it's correct?"

EMP: "Um, no we have it."

Me: "How can you be sure it's correct since I didn't get the original mailing?"

EMP: "We can't."

Me: "How about I tell you what it is and you can match it to what you have-that would confirm the information is correct, right?"

EMP: [slight sigh] "Okay, fine."

I recite the mailing information to her....

Me: "Did everything match what you have on your side?"

EMP: "No, the ZIP code was wrong."

Me: "Hmmm...might be the reason I didn't get them last time, don't you think?"

EMP: "Maybe..."

[it's at this point I realize that I can hear crickets in the background...and give up.]

Me: "Okay, great, thanks...bye."

EMP: "Buh-bye!"  [I hate that salutation, by the way...]

Somewhere, a McDonald's is missing a fry clerk...

2 comments:

V2V said...

Somewhere, a McDonald's is missing a fry clerk... You are a trip my good man. Totally enjoying your stuff.

The Anteater said...

Thanks...

...I have my moments.