I wound up going to the ER last night after my throat decided that it was angry enough to spontaneously bleed twice. I didn't want to take the chance that I'd choke on my own blood in the middle of the night, so after I stopped the bleeding the second time, I jumped in the car and drove to the hospital. I spent the better part of four hours in the ER until an ENT could be found to consult for further direction. He decided that I should stay overnight for observation.CPan came up from his 'hood to bring my phone charger-because, wouldn't you know it? My phone was about to die on me...he hung out and we chatted for a bit before I started spitting up blood, he got grossed out and left. Probably for the better, I'm not used to performing for an audience. I was appreciative that he came up for a bit.
I met my roommate, Wayne, who was in for some blood clotting issue in his leg. He was walking across the street and fell on his hands and knees and something tore in his left leg and is swelled up like a pinata and he couldn't walk on it. He'd been there for two days and was getting released the next day.
They told me to get some rest...but then every two hours, someone would come into the room to check vital signs. For some reason, they had to wake me up to do this...I would have been perfectly happy having it done while asleep...so I actually got little to no sleep overnight.
At 10am, the ENT came in to chat...I was told that a second surgery would be required to stem the flow of blood through my throat. I sat in my room for another two hours before being moved to the 'pre-surgery' area. I sat there for 45 minutes and then surgery happened about 1:30pm. I was in recovery at 3pm and on my way home by 6pm. Fortunately, they only had to cauterize part of one side, so while it's not like completely starting over, it's still very painful. The ENT told me that it only happens in 2% of all cases and I must have just gotten "lucky". Somehow, it doesn't feel that way.
Nicole came by the hospital and brought me home...the car is hanging out in the parking lot at the hospital so I'll have to retrieve it tomorrow. Another set back for work that isn't welcomed but if I don't have to deal with spontaneous throat blood, it's worth it.
I'm back home and planning to sleep in my bed as long as I can before the pain kicks in again.
No comments:
Post a Comment