The project at work is quickly wrapping up...and now I am working on the directives for next year. I should have a completed project by Wednesday...just in time for the corporate dudes to come back and see it all working. It'll be nice to finish this all up. Then I can just coast along until something better is found...or I stumble up the ladder.
There have been a few funny moments: One of the girls in customer service had to show 'the guru' how to 'switch users' on Windows 7-not an exaggeration, but a sad truth. Unfortunately, this is the guy that I'm forced to rely on to get the last few strings of this puppet show together. It's been an exercise in patience and ambivalence. I don't know how else to explain ODBC, basic networking and a standard Windows operating procedure to an IT guy who certainly makes 2x's what I do...in spite of the fact that if I had administrator rights to the network-I wouldn't need to talk to him and I would have been done four months ago. The software admin at the carousel company just sighs on the phone when he has to talk to 'the guru'.
Irony, such a spiteful bitch...
Craig and I made an honest effort to get the garage lights put up tonight after work...but the garage wasn't having it. The idea was to move the conduit that was screwed to the ceiling into the attic space above the garage. Seemed simple enough-we'd be able to use most of the existing materials and it shouldn't take that long to do. Then we could move on to putting up the second light and mounting the first one properly.
Yeah, that didn't happen.
Part one-moving the existing conduit-should have been about an hour to two hour job-wound up taking almost four hours. The roof pitch, combined with the random trash bags of insulation stuffed into the garage attic, prevented most of what should have been straightforward. In order to proper amble about in the garage attic, I'd need to be about 4' tall with arms that are about as long. I know why they put the conduit on the ceiling instead of in the attic...but that doesn't make it right.
After a couple of hours, we got it configured-then we had to take it apart because the wires were too short. Inexperience with a conduit bender slowed us down...but once it was up, the rest of it went rather quickly.
And that's where we stopped.
I'm going to cut the braces for the wood and have the location of the lights figured out...then it all has to get assembled.
The lesson here: Sometimes the most rewarding accomplishments happen in the smallest steps.
Background Tune: "Young Adult Friction" by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
No comments:
Post a Comment