So, why the hell do we still move clocks back and forth (Spring Forward, Fall Back)? The whole mess started with Benjamin Franklin as an option to save candles from being used so quickly...and then it was surmised as a way to give farmers-people who work from one darkness into the next-an 'extra' hour of daylight. I don't imagine it matters much to them. It's dark when they start and dark when they end...and they don't tend to watch a clock while working. At least they didn't at the dairy farms I visited several years ago.
Sounds like horse shit to me. There have been all kinds of studies done about any potential benefits in modern time-you know, where 99% of the population doesn't own a farm...most of them come up with some trivial benefit that's later debunked by a subsequent study about the same topic.
Two states out of 50 don't recognize it: Hawaii and Arizona. They don't use any more/less air conditioning/heat or electricity as a result of NOT following along. Nothing is being 'saved'...
So why do we still do it? All it does is screw people up for two days while they 'adjust' to it. Seems like one of those archaic practices that no one can seem to explain.
Is there a paper I can sign to abolish the Daylight Saving Time program? Another side benefit is that people would stop misusing the term...but then I'd lose one more chance to correct people on their supposed grammar.
Background Tune: "First to Fly" by Driving East

No comments:
Post a Comment