09 August 2011

New rear shocks for the Speed3

I have a way of blowing some things out of proportion...and did just that with the project of replacing the rear shocks on my car.  I did some reading online and tried to estimate the level of complication and time required against my abilities-which are better than most...but something bothered me.  Maybe it was that I read too much online and found myself influenced by the technical ineptitude of others.  I printed out a 9 page instruction list with photos by someone who has been down the road in the past.  They said it would take 2 hours.

Okay, I can handle this...

It wound up taking 2 hours-but that included a trip to an auto parts store to buy Loctite because I can't find the tube that I already have...as well as time taken to make and eat dinner.  So it was more like an hour at most.  At the end, I realized that the part that had me most concerned was putting the car on jack stands since there isn't much under the car to allow it to be held up in such a way.  I wound up using the standard jack points and didn't cause any damage.

Sometimes the internet information makes things WAY more complicated than they need to be.

I suspect the front struts will take twice as long and cost twice as much...hopefully they'll last until next Spring.

No comments: