13 July 2008

the unknown wedding guest

I went to a wedding yesterday with Beth, who knew only the groom-who happened to rent a room from her a couple of years ago. And, due to weather concerns, we skipped the wedding and went only to the reception. We sat in the bar for about half an hour talking about past wedding attendances before making our way to a table (seating was unassigned-I thought this was a nice touch). The tables sat four, so I was curious as to who we'd wind up with at our table. Within 5 minutes of sitting down, a tall Irish guy named Scott sat down next to Beth (across from me) and politely introduced himself. The three of us chatted about random topics until Teresa, Scott's girlfriend, sat down next to me (across from Beth). Teresa is half black and appears to be a little out of Scott's league. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I'm not at all concerned with the race of another person-the reason I bring it up is that within a couple of minutes, they tell us a story about Teresa asking Scott if her lip gloss is too shiny...Teresa explains to us that she didn't want to come to the reception looking like she'd just been eating fried chicken...Beth and I were a bit taken aback by the comment but relieved that Teresa was so lighthearted about it. As the night wore on, the four of us shared all sorts of random stories about ourselves and consumed quite a bit of alcohol. Scott downed quite the assortment of liquor, while I stuck to red wine and shots of various hard liquors.

By the end of the night, I had consumed more alcohol in one night than I have in the past six months combined. Beth drove and, after a brief stop at BK (for Teresa), we drove Scott and Teresa home.


For a wedding where I didn't know anyone, I met a lot of new people, shared a lot of stories and had one hell of a good time. The bride and groom met while he was donating blood. They looked fantastic-very happy to be together. I've been to a lot of weddings (over 20) and they were the most comfortable and content of all. It was nice to see-I hope that I can meet someone who makes me that happy, that simply-it was almost too much.

By the time we returned to Beth's house, I was crashing off of the alcohol induced stupor, harboring one hell of a headache and drinking water as if I'd just run a marathon (I stopped on my way home to buy more water). I got home and went right to bed...and woke up at around 10am today.

Addi is doing well after her rough end of the week last week. The medication is making her a little spaced out but she seems to be okay otherwise. I think Nikki is going to look for alternative medications (or take her off of it) and explore some other causes for the seizures.

I get to share some good news with my staff tomorrow when I inform them of a cost of living pay increase. It's not a lot but I'm sure it will be welcomed.

School is going okay thus far. I like both classes although I think I'm leaning toward my Management Accounting class as the favorite. There are three times as many people and I think it will be very challenging to master the class. Watching the instructor squirm is interesting too-he has an admirer and she is bold. The instructor is in his mid-late 50's and a fellow student is right around his age. We were talking about gas prices and people started talking about where they live (and how far they drive to get to school). Turns out, this crazy woman lives near the instructor's neighborhood...and she asked to carpool with him to class. She offered to drive, bring coffee, pick him up, not talk (he's not a morning person, apparently), whatever he wanted...he gracefully declined. We went on a break and she moved from the back of the class to the front, right in front of the instructor...he started teaching from the board to get some distance....it was rather entertaining for the rest of us to watch.

I'm planning a short trip to California next week. I'm looking forward to it-another short break from all that normal life has to offer right now...

An old song that I still love...



No comments: