18 March 2017

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Half the month of March is gone and I've done nothing really worth writing about.  That doesn't seem like time well spent, now, does it?

The project car is still up on jack stands in the garage.  I found a local hose shop to make the brake lines but every time I go there to get them I wind up waiting for 30 minutes only to be told that they're out of one of the many fittings that I need.  Seems like there'd be a way to get all of that together and done once and for all, right?

The house hunting has stopped due to an uncertain job situation - the very job that brought us here - so in the semi-likely event that we wind up moving again, we don't have to deal with selling another house.  The owner of the house we're renting came by the third week of February to walk through the house, terminate her agreement with the contracted property manager and put the house on the market.  Within a matter of a week, I'd talked her into not selling the house so we could rent for another year...it's worked out rather well so far for both sides.  The issues we had are all resolved and the owner is happy with how we're caring for the house.  The real 'win' here is that we don't have to move and get the 3 year old to adjust to yet another house/schedule.  Next May we will have a pretty good idea of what's going to be going on for a while unless the quagmire known as our current government implodes the economy.  It's not a matter of 'how', it's a matter of 'when'...

The job situation is much the same.  To the point that my boss wrote something like "he can do the job we've given him while half asleep, bound and gagged with only an internet connection" on my annual review.  I volunteered for a new project and I'm hoping it'll keep me busy for the foreseeable future.  I'm not at all keen on working from home - a guy I chatted with at the airport told me that I probably think it sucks because I'm not taking advantage of it by doing a bunch of other stuff while I'm supposed to be working.  I silently wondered how many times he'd been fired in the past...integrity being such a hard thing to interview candidates for and all.  I'd love to not work at home but I'm making the best of it given the circumstances.  Maybe I'll take up yoga.  Then I can bitch about how impossible the positions are while alone in the house...that's probably a win for everyone, actually.

One minor upside is that I figured out how to prevent the freezing/crashing in Google Chrome on the new computer...only one other real issue to resolve.  And to be honest, it's so minor that I haven't even bothered to look it up yet.

I bought five books to read - I think I've cracked the first chapter on one of them.  Reading books used to help me relax but the thought of taking the time to read a book nearly gives me anxiety now.  Maybe I need to get some Xanax so I can relax and not worry about not having time to read the five books I bought.  I bet the Xanax would simply tell me to put the books on the shelf and ignore them.

I've contemplated going to the chiropractor for my back issue - I can't seem to get rid of the lower back pain.  I still think riding my bike will help but I can't seem to get my ass into that seat but I've got some ideas that could solve two issues at once.  The chiropractor...yeah.  I don't really understand what they do but it seems like people always have to go back, again and again, to deal with an issue so it's never really resolved.  I may try it anyway - the back pain is not something I can ignore into acceptance.  We bought a new bed (again) and then bought a latex topper for the mattress and I'm sleeping better than I have since my last hotel stay.  I'm only as good as my previous night's sleep...I do know that I'll never buy another memory foam mattress again.  Marketing hype, chemicals and overpriced foam that has me sleeping as poorly as possible.

...and that's how I write a whole lot about very little.

No comments: