18 December 2011

something different...

After a quiet morning, Kelly and I headed out to the big scary city to visit a friend. We went to a local Greek owned restaurant for breakfast/lunch before jumping on a bus and heading downtown.

I'm an avid people watcher, so I love riding the bus...and I was almost disappointed-until a homeless looking dude with a basketball appeared from the back of the bus. He was ready to go kick some ass at basketball. That stereotype you've likely started in your head? Yeah, it's wrong.

This guy looked like a Jewish banker-only homeless...his clothes were in tatters and he was visibly dirty. Okay, maybe he really is a Jewish banker and just got his ass kicked by some city thugs who beat him up, stole his money and handed him a basketball as a consolation prize.  That theory would work until you got to see him about to go bat shit crazy when the bus nearly didn't stop next to the hoops.

It was a good ride on the bus...

Our first stop was not planned-the Chicago Cultural Center. It took over the old library and had been undergoing a major renovation to restore the interior to its original glory. I've been there twice in the last five years and both times (prior to today) it was under construction. It's finished now and looks amazing...there was a college level orchestra playing a concert when we arrived-we stayed and listened to two songs. The acoustics in the building are nothing short of amazing. No pictures unfortunately...but now I have a reason to go back again soon.

Our next stop was the German Christmas market. It's outdoors and, in spite of some seasonally cold weather AND a Bears game being played, it was very busy. Delicious smells came from around nearly every corner...I found it a bit odd that, for a German market, there were a few Polish vendors as well. You know, as if 1939 never happened.

It was a good visit and cemented the fact that we should make better attempts at getting into the city-if for nothing else than to people watch.

Background Tune: "Heads will roll" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

No comments: