09 September 2009

my 'everything' is laced with sarcasm

I had a conversation via Facebook today with a long distance friend I've never actually met...we started recommending books to one another a little over a year ago on Shelfari and wound up getting to know about one another-and migrating to Facebook.

We used to talk quite extensively via chat but the last six or seven months hasn't been much to write home about, for lack of a better phrase.  I don't remember how the conversation started but during the exchange, she made mention of my ability to complement others with such a sense of sarcasm (in writing, no less) that it made it hard for her to know if my words really were a compliment or a sharp, silent jab.  I chalk part of that up to her not knowing me in person, part of it to her history of abusive relationships with others and most of it to, well....me.  It's just the way I am...Sometimes, I'm like the scorpion in the story of "The Frog and The Scorpion".  I do things that, while they defy the logic or common sense of the everyday person, make sense to me at the time.  And yes, most of the time, I wind up looking back wondering "What was I thinking?" when I made such a foolish misstep.  There are days where I'm not quite sure what will come out of my mouth next...or why.  I think that's why there are so many pop songs about regret-because I'm not the only one who does this.

I am appreciative of her ability to tell me about it-but that's always been one of the things I like about her-she is very candid with me-most likely because we're not face to face.  She was convinced that she'd had me 'figured out'...but we both discovered that she's way off.  The discovery wasn't a 'victory' for me-rather it gave us both a new perspective on this friendship we've lightly fostered over the last number of months.

Here's how the conversation ended:

Me: I am an ass...I have the emails to prove it.

Her: Well at least we agree on something... ;)

Me: I'll just share the 'nice' stuff with you-I don't want you going and getting your feelings hurt.

Her: that would be a change...your 'compliments' are usually laced with sarcasm.

Me: My 'everything' is laced with sarcasm.

Her: LMAO...there's the title of your memoir. Fucking perfect.
It was then that I realized how poignant that sentence really was with regard to 'me'...and then I wondered how many other creative things have escaped me in the past few months.

"I spend all night, losing sleep..."

No comments: