16 December 2008

Choose a new path...or don't.

"I've got good news and I've got bad news". When your dentist tells you this at 9am it kind of throws the day into a new spin. The good news-I get to keep the tooth. The bad news-I get to experience a root canal! I was on a little bit of a 'high' because I checked NewEgg before leaving the house and found that all of the parts were back in stock for my new computer. I submitted the order and walked out into the bitter cold with a little pep in my step (as my grandfather would say) to get the news from my dentist.

I'm going to document the old computer vs. the new computer build just for grins, via a photo journal. I didn't take the time to do it last time (I only took one picture-posted in a previous entry) and I sort of regret it. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to do it at work in the warehouse (concrete floors-no static) over the weekend. I'm in a bit of a pickle about the OS, 32 bit or 64 bit...that is the question...but I'm pretty sure the new computer, even 32 bit, is going to be a major improvement over the socket 478, P4. It's been a handy little box over the years. I think I might move it to a new case (all it needs is a HDD and OS) as a back up system. Hell, who knows, it may go on for many more years...it was well built and hasn't failed in 5 years.

I'm going to read the book I've been staring at for two weeks, "The Gargoyle"-a signed copy no less, found by Nicole when I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. The copy I bought on Amazon arrived the next day...so I gave it to Jessica, my admin, an avid reader of fine literature.

Our geographic area received a nice helping of snow, right on time according to the forecasters, and the drive home was just about as interesting as the trip in yesterday. Just to put it into perspective-I literally work 1.1 miles from where I live (not at all a coincidence) and it took me 40 minutes to get home. I estimate that about 25 minutes of that was purely due to people who don't know how to properly pilot their 4 wheeled vehicles in such a way that they can continue with forward motion and assist in keeping the roads safe. I got stuck at the hill today-this time I stopped very short with anticipation of driver error. A guy in a red Jetta repeated the actions of my old friend from yesterday-this time, I just went around him. He will either figure it out or be late for dinner...I'm betting on the latter since he missed at least one traffic light cycle. I should take a picture of the intersection and post it...I might even get lucky and catch some video of another turtle on its back. I don't know why but the two situations remind me of the first Saw movie. The solution is right there...in the same room...right in front of you...or just panic and cut your leg off (or repeatedly mash the accelerator pedal)...whatever.

Background Tune: "Heart of Wax"--Blank and Jones

No comments: