22 September 2017

Situational Irony

I spent a little time this morning preparing for the PMP exam today - reviewing some of the areas I know I'm weakest, but not so secretly knowing that I'll be coming back to the material to 'refresh' myself for the re-test that's almost certainly going to have to happen.  I didn't feel ready, I didn't think I could recall enough of the information to make a sizable difference.

I drove to the testing site with almost no anxiety, apprehension or dread - just numb.  Going through the motions to get through the exam, deal with the failure and adjusting my focus toward the re-test process to try again once I'd had some time to do more reading/absorbing.  I went through the 200 questions, reviewed approximately 25, changed some answers and hit 'submit'.  I answered a survey and then it happened.  The screen said "Congratulations on Passing the PMP Exam".  I just sat there and stared at the screen for a full two minutes because I couldn't believe what I was reading.  There was almost no way I was going to pass this test...I hadn't scored over 70% on a mock exam - in fact, every test I took generated a lower score.  My worst score was a fucking 52%!  I'm not sure how it happened but I'm happy that it did.  This phase of stress is now over and I can move on to the next phase.

No comments: