16 February 2014
Moth#$*&%ker...I hate being sick.
A few years ago, I had some voluntary surgery to remove my tonsils and have my septum rebuilt to minimize the curvature of it which was going to help me stay well longer. I was getting really sick 4-5 times a year and it was time to try something new. The first two years after the surgery were great-I didn't get sick and was generally healthy. The couple of years after that, however, haven't been so great. I fell ill twice last year and I've already been sick twice this year. Somehow, some way...I've returned to being sick again. I don't know how it happened but I do know when it happened-last weekend.
The three of us have been attempting to get rid of what started out as a common cold over the Christmas break. I spent my entire week off of work coughing and not sleeping. I took an extra day off to try to kick it once and for all. I was left with a 'throat clearing annoyance' for several weeks. My wife got sick, got over it and then our son got sick again (he had a double ear infection and was prescribed meds). I picked up whatever he had and, a week later, I'm still coughing. I've tried a few OTC remedies-none of which really work, going to the doctor (where I found out that I have an ear infection), sleeping as much as possible and staying indoors/warm. I'm consuming so many fluids that I should just stay in the bathroom, on the toilet, where I could probably type out a far more interesting version of this post...but I haven't done that-I'm in the office at my desk, coughing in intervals of about every 5 words.
There are few things in the world that I hate more than being sick. I have zero control over the outcome-I just have to wait it out. It's hard to get the required sleep with a 4 month old who's also sick and cannot sleep-so this is going on longer than it should...longer than it would. It's amazing how hard it is to get things done when I feel like shit...when my son and my wife also feel like shit. I'd make them well first if I could...
Fortunately, it's a 3 day weekend for me so I'm going to try to catch up on all of the sleep I'm losing (and should be collecting) and hope that I'm in good shape for work on Tuesday (I don't think that's going to happen, btw).
This Winter seems like it's lasting FORFUCKINGEVER but that could just be the meds talking. Seems like it's been snowing for a year and there's no end in sight (it's supposed to snow again tomorrow) and, I've got to be honest, I'm getting really tired of it. Might be time to start looking for a job in a warm climate-where it doesn't snow. Maybe I'm just allergic to the Midwest and it took a little while to figure that out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment