10 November 2013

When a gentle breeze becomes a destructive force

This.

This damage was caused by a $10 mailbox and a serious lack of sleep.  The trip was short (less than 2 miles) and happened while the wife was backing out of a friend's driveway.  A friend who has graciously loaned us a 'magic' swing that gets our normally "wide awake at crazy hours of the night" kid to go to sleep.  We were trying to save the money of having to buy a swing (they're over $200) by borrowing one...

..shit happens when you're wiped out tired.

About a week ago, in the new dark of early morning, I backed out of the driveway - right into two 4' tall bright blue trash cans at the end of the long driveway.  No damage to my car or the trash cans but it did get me to realize that I wasn't quite awake yet...so I sat at the end of the driveway for a second to think about it and get it together before I joined the rest of the lemmings on the highway.

We are not used to the lack of sleep yet, obviously, but we're getting there.  We try to not ask one another complex questions and cut one another some slack...but it's still a little more than we know how to process.

The swing, by the way, is working its magic...that means sleep will be coming to us shortly and we can both avoid the shit at the end of various driveways.

No comments: