I didn't wind up buying a desk...and the three I found have all sold. There will be another time for organization, apparently, although every time I sit down at my desk, I'm bothered by the current set up. I rearranged some furniture and cleaned up the look but it doesn't really change the functionality, or lack thereof, for me.
Tomorrow is another opportunity.
A phrase I've been thinking about the past few days: "Get it together"
Something my mom used to say to me as a kid. Years later, I'd always hear Cher's voice when someone said that to me. Even if that person was my boss and he neither looked, nor sounded like Cher. I think it has something to do with watching "Moonstruck" and, at least in my head, swapping "Snap out of it"-her actual line in the movie with "Get it together" in my head. The meanings are similar enough, I suppose.
It's funny to think that, for a woman who has decided to live in a storage shed at a go kart track with two cats and two dogs, she made sense at one point in her life.
The first couple steps have been taken...and as they say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I'm two steps closer to my journey that feels figuratively like it's a thousand miles away. Why do I feel like an old man who's about to mow down a group of people innocently shopping at a farmer's market on a quiet Sunday morning?
I'm a week and a half away from the maiden voyage of change in habits for me. I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should, I know. I never understood, when I was younger, why people had to make such a big deal out of every trivial little event in their lives. Now, I tend to make a big deal out of the fact that I can successfully get up off the floor without using a chair to pull my aging carcass up.
There's something seriously missing. I feel like I've almost put my finger on it and it has to do with where I spend my time during the day. Well, more so the people I spend it with on a daily basis. I don't know if it's my lack of functional work inspiration or if I'm just slowing down in general. I'd like to believe that it's got more to do with my surroundings than my personal state. I'm literally getting dumber by the day. I used to be able to hold my own in a political debate with a friend. Now, I can't seem to decide if I want a second cup of coffee.
I'm really hoping this is an honest case of my psyche trying to tell me that it's seriously fucking bored.
Could also be a healthy dose of denial, I suppose.
I've gone from listening to semi-mainstream music on the radio to preferring talk radio because I find it more 'intelligent'. Pop music sucks, plain and simple. I'm listening to non-vocal indie tunes...shit my parents listened to when they were about ten years older than I am now. Maybe I just figured it out faster than they did. That's one way to look at it, I suppose.
In any event, I've got a 1,000 piece puzzle and I've got the drive to put it together-knowing full well that I may not like the picture that results after it's all together. Knowing how it goes together is far more important than the image it yields. I can find a picture I like once I figure out how to "get it together".
Background Tune: "Raw Sugar" by Metric
No comments:
Post a Comment