15 March 2010

Hey, Humpty Dumpty, when you come down off that fence, I am going to crack you open.

The last ten years have been interesting...and I use that word, interesting, as a vague adjective for my life and all that's happened in it in that time.  I tend to think that things happen for a reason.  Not as in "Jesus made it happen because he loves me" but more like "Luck" being the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

Some strange things have circled back around again...I've been on this passive quest to find an old Volkswagen Squareback to restore so I can tool around like some half-a-tard on summer days.

My very first car was a 67 Squareback and it was a work in progress that never found its end. I had to build it from a little less than four tires and a body.  I never got an engine in it before things at home disintegrated to the point where I had to sell it, mid project, and move on.  It took many years and quite a few more project cars before I'd finish one...but my favorite car turned out to be a 65 Squareback pan with a 69 body.  The 65 was exempt from California emissions testing but the body was trashed....so I found a 69 that was originally an automatic with fuel injection that no one could figure out.  Lucky for me I had a friend named Eric who liked VWs as much as I do.  We rented an engine puller for a big V8 and used it to pull the two bodies apart and swap them in the alley behind my apartment complex.  I smashed the hell of out all ten of my fingers, donated some blood to the car, and consumed more carbonated drinks than a welfare recipient...but three days later, when I started that car and drove it around the neighborhood, there was no wiping the smile off my face.

It's weird how, nearly twenty years later, I'm looking forward to the smile that only an old Volkswagen can bring to my face...when it runs (that needs to be clarified because nothing is more frustrating than an old Volkswagen that won't start).

There are not many 65 Squarebacks running around...it has, after all, been 45 years since the car rolled off the assembly line in Germany...and that number has to drop substantially when it comes to the Midwestern states.  Just like a saltwater fish tank, I thought my days of a rust prone car in a state where it snows were over...but I've found one.  It's not too far away, it's not too expensive and I'm going to look at it on Friday after work.  

My birthday is coming up, I'm going to get my degree this year, and I've endured some epic situations...and I can't help but think that I should buy myself something 'pretty'.

I have very deep and strong memories of the people I've met because of my project cars-experiences that only building a car can create.  Some of the best memories I have are because of these cars...I know that sounds very 'guy' like but it's true.  The people I remember best-Eric, Stuart, Kevin, Doug, Stephanie and Crissy...they're all because of the Squareback cars of the past...or their microbus, Ghia, Bug, Thing, Fastback or Erin's now infamous 64 Notchback.  That car will live on forever in my memory.

This year is epic...for a number of reasons.  I'll get into the other things shortly...I've got to get my sleep cycle back on track first.

Background Tune: "Hide You" by Kosheen

No comments: