05 July 2007

hindsight's vision is 20/20

Where does the time go? I was struck with the simple thought of my mortality while riding my bike home for lunch of all times. My time in transit is literally less than two minutes...I left myself wondering-What happens when people die? The people close to them grieve and miss them for a while but then return to their lives within a fairly short period of time. My grandfather died earlier this year and I was devastated for about a week. A couple of months later and it now seems like a distant memory. The venerable patriarch of our broken family, the guy who silently glued so many fractured pieces together dissolved from the inside and disappeared from physical presence. I've been thinking about him a lot lately-I'm reading a book that I always intended to send to him but never did...I'm not sure why it didn't make it into the postal system. It could have been another thing for the two of us to talk about during one of our phone conversations. In some way, I think it would have been great to have something in common with him. I earned a few confused looks from him from time to time in my high school days...looking back, he was one of the few people who actually tried to understand me while allowing me to be who I was or wanted to be. I always wanted something to talk about, other than family or pets...that book was one way to make that happen, although I never got around to reading it and thus, sending it to him to read for a later discussion.

I don't buy into the heaven or hell argument, so I don't think we'll meet up again once I've taken my eternal dirt nap and that's kind of a bummer because I've got a lot to say.

I think I'm cynical because my hindsight mechanism is so slow...maybe I should read more books. Or should I simply finish them in a more timely manner?

No comments: