14 January 2014

"Should I think about the future? It's following me faster every day"

In some spare time recently, I was digging around on Facebook and noticed that a classmate from high school had recently passed away from pancreatic cancer.  He'd been ill for quite some time and several of the people who still lived nearby were doing what they could to help the family (he has three kids) and visit with him in the hospital.  The guy had an amazing attitude about it and seemed to realize that his time was growing shorter far faster than for anyone else...he did everything he could to maintain his historically charismatic personality.  All the way to the end.

Jason was only one of several people from my high school years who has lived a life too short.  I'm not that old and it still strikes me as very odd that so many people have died.  Then I look in the mirror and start thinking about what I've accomplished thus far with my time...and I can't help but wonder why I haven't done more so far.  I could probably be a lot happier if I'd cut myself some slack once in a while but, the character flaw that it is, I can't and don't.

This year started off with a cold that I picked up from my infant son-who got it from his daycare...and then gave it to me and being the super generous dude that I am, I gave it to my wife.  We're all now in the last stages of this crap.  My wife has an ear infection that's slowly going away with meds, I have that nagging cough and the little dude has a perpetual nose full of green snot.

I've decided that 2014 is the year that I get back in shape and pay off as much student loan debt as possible.  I'm not labeling specific accomplishments beyond that but this year is when I focus my energy on accomplishment and advancement.  One of those minor details includes blogging more often than I did in 2013 (which wasn't all that often).  I guess time will tell.


No comments: