15 August 2010

Problems are the price you pay for progress

"Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful." - Mark Victor Hansen

I spent the entire day yesterday working on my restoration project.  It's been a bit slow because I'm having to remember how the car is put together and figure out how to make progress based on my limited memory of the simple complexity of the car's construction.  Part of the process involves removing things and then having to deal with other issues that crop up as a result of taking a 45+ year old car apart.

It was a very productive day overall...with Craig's help, we were able to set the timing, set the valves, change the oil, replace the spark plugs and wires, change the transmission fluid, fix a broken light switch, repair a broken tie rod end, prep and primer the fuel tank, repair some broken wires.

I haven't yet found a suitable parts car but there is one in Indy if the owner and I can get in touch with one another.  I suspect that I'll buy the car and immediately disassemble it-refurbishing the parts  for future use in my car.  The refurbished parts will go in the garage until they're needed to finish the car.  It's amazing how fast this project took on so many different directions at one time...it's becoming a bit of a challenge to get them accomplished without getting distracted.

Things are bound to happen, the car will continue to surprise me and I'll continue to approach each with a sense of patience and the overall end result in mind.  I'm sure everything is going to wind up just fine...I just have to pace myself and be patient.

I am going to start taking photos of the progress and post them so that when I'm old (or in a couple of years when I can't remember the details), I'll have something to reference...

Background Tune: "Maps"- The Snake TheCross TheCrown

No comments: